The 40th Annual American Music Awards took place in Los Angeles at the Nokia Theater on Sunday night to celebrate the best and brightest in music.
Following the star-studded American Music Awards on Sunday night, Justin Bieber walked away the big winner of the evening with three of the top AMA honors. Bieber landed Artist of the Year, Favorite Pop/Rock Male, and Favorite Pop/Rock Album for his latest record Believe.
Although Katy Perry took home the AMA for Favorite Pop/Rock Female, and Rihanna nabbed Favorite Soul/R&B Album for Talk That Talk, Nicki Minaj was a multiple winner with two AMAs for Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist and Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album for her latest effort, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded.
This year’s AMA performances included No Doubt, Pink, Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, Nicki Minaj and Justin Bieber, Carly Rae Jepsen, Pitbull, Usher, and one surprise “Gangnam Style” mash-up between Psy and MC Hammer.
Ryan Seacrest and Stevie Wonder paid tribute to Dick Clark and Brandy took the stage for an homage to the late Whitney Houston.
- Pink gave AMA a moving performance of “Try” as an acrobatic ballet with body paint. Since Pink was a trained gymnast before music, she mixed the best of both worlds on Sunday for one of the stand-out moments of the night.
- Jenny McMarthy Wins: Ok, so she didn’t actually win an award, but she did “cougar rape” Justin Bieber on stage. That’s right, neck kisses and all. She even got a little “handsy,” but Bieber didn’t mind at all.
- Taylor Swift shocked everyone with a performance of “I Knew You Were Trouble” in a bustier. With hair-swinging that would make Axl Rose jealous, Taylor broke out of her usually sweet and reserved image to get the crowd on its feet. Should we thank Harry Styles for this?
- Carly Rae Jepsen performs “This Kiss”: She’s cute and she’s Canadian, but why didn’t “This Kiss” have us dancing off the couch like “Call Me Maybe”?
- Kelly Clarkson and the Crickets?: It was awkward AMA moment when the crowd failed to sing along to “Since You’ve Been Gone.” Come on people! That’s Kelly’s signature power rock anthem. Sigh, so disappointed.
Hammer Time, Gangnam Style
Psy hit the AMA stage to light up the crowd with “Gangnam Style”. But things went to a whole other level when MC Hammer joined the Korean phenom on stage for a mash-up of “Gangnam Style” and Hammer’s “Too Legit to Quit”. Depending on what age group you fall into, this was either the best or worst of the night. Either way, the crowd loved it! Hammer pants are back in fashion. Who could’ve seen that one coming?
Winners from the 40th Annual American Music Awards
Artist of the Year: Justin Bieber
Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist: Justin Bieber
Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist: Katy Perry
Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group: Maroon 5
Favorite Pop/Rock Album: Believe, Justin Bieber
Favorite Country Female Artist: Taylor Swift
Favorite Country Male Artist: Luke Bryan
Favorite Country Band/Duo/Group: Lady Antebellum
Favorite Country Album: Blown Away, Carrie Underwood
Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Artist: Nicki Minaj
Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album: Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, Nicki Minaj
Favorite Alternative Rock Music Artist: Linkin Park
Favorite Electronic Dance Music Artist: David Guetta
Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist: Usher
Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist: Beyoncé
Favorite Soul/R&B Album: Talk That Talk, Rihanna
Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist: Adele
Favorite Latin Artist: Shakira
Favorite Adult Contemporary Inspirational Artist: tobyMac
New Artist of the Year: Carly Rae Jepsen
What did you think of Psy and MC Hammer at the AMAs?